Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Here in dwells the dilemma

As of late we have been looking a little bit more for a space to open La Bocca. This in and of itself is a bit of a daunting task, not to mention working 60 or so hours a week myself and Lydia's 40, plus the occasional work at home. We aren't able to get out to as many possible spots as I would like.

In addition to this, we both have a responsibility to our employers. I was reading the July/August issue of Food Arts (on news stands now!) And I came across a quote that struck a bit of a nerve. "Dining out is a dynamic, interactive, and holistic experience, hinging on three principles: the environment, the interaction, and the food. Ultimately how you handle your food has everything to do with success or failure."

Now, I work pretty hard and my days are long for the most part, but I'm not putting forth my best effort -- trying to be creative within the framework of the menu I am working with. I am letting down my employer, myself, and my cooks. My employer isn't at fault for my aspirations to open our restaurant. Nor is the blame to be placed on the shoulders of my young line cooks, whom I have offered to teach.

The fault is mine. I have looked past my current opportunity to the dream of my own kitchen. I owe more to my employer and co-workers. They deserve my best effort. The dream Lydia and I have for a restaurant needs to be at the pace we can accomplish without our work or private life suffering.

So all of this being said, I will be redoubling my efforts to make my current employer's restaurant a success, give my cooks the best education I can, maintain the best loving relationship with Lydia and when time allows, finish the business plan, find some investors, blog and tweet whenever possible and make our dream a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate you taking the time to read our blog.