Sunday, September 6, 2009

Thoughts on a new chapter

It has been just a few days at Artisanal. Lots of the usual open routine.I have opened or been a part of opening about 12 restaurants over the years. I am accustomed to the speeches of managers and the chef/owner about what is the focus or vision of the restaurant. I have in fact given the speech myself and hope one day to be give it again. But for me this is a bit more intense. Chef Brennan is bringing a two Michelin star staff to Seattle to open this restaurant. I have worked at two highly rated French restaurants, Pappillon in Denver and the Palace at the Cincinnatian in Cincinnati. Although both chefs were very good and I respect them Chef Brennan himself is very approachable and engaging. He appears to have a great passion for hand crated ingredients, his personal definition of Artisanal, and a great respect for the kitchen, the physical plant, that he personally walks through the kitchen at the end of the shift to make sure the kitchen is perfect.

He states that everything must be straight, everything from the sani bucket to the digital scales on a shelf. The idea is that if your station is set up perfectly and you work clean helps to make everything clean. From walk in to plates going out to the guest, no detail is to small or too insignificant to not be done perfect.

Chef Brennan believes that if you start with this idea the box of romaine is put away in it's spot with label and date forward to have it is cleaned to how it is dressed then plated that if everything is perfect from the start it will be perfect out the door.

As for me I know in my own kitchens that there are times when I have not been so precise. I get busy, there isn't enough staff, it's the end of the week, what ever and you break concentration. This is sort of like a virus, it spreads and pretty soon the place is a mess, the plates start not to be as crisp. Then something will happen and I will get upset at myself or a coworker, then I realize I have not been diligent. I have let this happen, I'm the chef I lead by example. Of course things are not how they should be the staff is following my example. Then I have to refocus, get things back on track. This is a vicious cycle I wish to break.

Hopefully in the weeks, months and yes years to come under Chef Brennan's employ I will train my mind and retrain myself not to fall into the cycle of poor concentration. I hope to take the wealth of knowledge and experience. Chef Brennan is offering up a way to help hone my dedication to the sucess of La Bocca.

1 comment:

  1. That should be a great experience. How many covers are they set up to do?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! We appreciate you taking the time to read our blog.